Principal Appreciation Day is a day to recognize and celebrate the hard work that goes into being a principal. A school atmosphere is often founded on the principal. It’s nice to have an official day to remind them that they are appreciated by staff and students.
When is principal appreciation day celebrated?
Principal appreciation day, also called School Principals’ Day, is technically May 1st. However, celebrations are often held on the first Friday in May. This date was chosen because it is not tied to any other holiday or event, so everyone could participate if they wanted to.
The reason behind principal appreciation day
This celebration was started by teachers and parents who wanted to give their local schools’ principals a special day of recognition.
After working with administrators from around North America, we at TUIO understand the sacrifices made on a daily basis to make sure your school runs smoothly. In particular, principals must not only care for the well-being of the students but that of the teachers and parents, all while reporting to the school board. They are tasked with difficult decisions each and every day to do what is best for the education and safety of the students.
Start Digitizing Your School’s Communication.
Book A Free TUIO Demo Today!
- Automate your enrollment
- Create digital waiting lists
- Collect tuition
- Communicate directly with parents & staff
- Streamline your student information, admissions, fundraising and donations all in one platform!
Why principal appreciation day is important
Principals are often the unsung heroes of a good school environment. They play an essential role in the success of schools.
They’re responsible for much more than we give them credit for:
- they set the tone and culture of a school;
- they develop relationships with students, teachers, parents, other staff members, and the heads of the school district;
- they lead teams through tough times;
- they have to discipline and raise up children in the toughest of situations;
- they make final decisions on budgetary concerns;
- and they ensure that a school’s vision is being implemented effectively by motivating people to do their best work every day.
4 ways that your school can celebrate principal appreciation day:
There are many ways to show gratitude for the hard work principals do every day. Here are just a few ideas:
- Have a special assembly or lunch with your principal and staff. This could include an activity, song, pizza party or video that is created by students in the school.
- Get students involved by providing an opportunity for them to write letters of appreciation and have them delivered to their principal on this day.
- Hold a fundraiser in support of an organization of the principal’s choice. Using a fundraising software like TUIO can help you easily collect donations for your cause.
- Spend an afternoon cleaning up the school yard and surrounding community as a thanks to your principal
Want more tips to improve your schools workplace?
Sign up to receive:
- Creative ideas for school events
- New ways to streamline your admin work
- Special discounts & promos for teachers, admins, and principals
What are the different ways we can communicate with parents, teachers, and students?
There are many ways that you can communicate with parents, teachers, and students. Here are some of your options:
- Phone calls
- Text messages
- Social media (e.g., school Facebook page)
- Provided in hardcopy to families through students, using something like a parent information folder
- At the school or at a school/community related event
- School software
If you’re not sure what system will work best for your school and community, check out TUIO’s communication feature!
Principal Appreciation Day Summary:
Principal appreciation day is a fantastic opportunity to extend your appreciation to your principal by acknowledging their leadership in education at your school. We know their daily schedules are hectic, but they do amazing work for the children in our communities and not only are they excellent leaders but they are also very special people!
When is principals’ day?
Technically principals’ day is celebrated on May 1st every year. However this sometimes falls over a weekend. So most schools in the USA will celebrate on the first friday in May.
How do you celebrate principals’ appreciation day?
There’s no wrong way to celebrate principals’ appreciation day. But we recommend that the more you give back to your principal the more they’ll give back to your school! Read our full list here for creative ideas on how to celebrate this day.
How should you announce this day?
You can do it the old way like sending out mass emails to staff and students or announce it over the intercom. Let’s hope everyone reads their email or remembers the announcement! Or you can automatically send your parents and staff a direct message in your school management software. If you don’t have one then you should book a demo with TUIO to see how it can make your school run easier.